Week 7 Story: The Talking and Listening Bird

The year was 2050. By this time, the government was listening to everything. There were tracking devices in all creature's brains that could replay every individual's memories and movement. In the case they needed a witness, one was already there. This new technology was the staple in this growing, yet destructive, society, and they were going to using it to combat crime. The government was investing all it's money into this technology and the wealthy people. Thus, many others were poor and starving from a lack of more vital resources.
A man, in this bad condition, lived by himself and his pet bird. He needed to eat, and the only way to obtain food was through a robbery he knew was wrong. He went across town to the tallest home, broke through the window, and left with gold that could feed and clothe him for the next six months. He felt extremely guilty, but how was he expected to keep his life otherwise? When he returned home, he hid the money in a box under his floorboard to keep his treasures safe.
The next morning, the rich neighbor walked around the neighborhood asking for help. "Someone broke into my home last night! Now, I have no money to give to the poor." The neighbor went to the poor man's house apologizing. "I am sorry you must live in these conditions. I have wanted to help people in your conditions, but someone took all the money I have."
The man felt horribly guilty and could not live with his actions without making a change. He needed a new life and that night, he took the money and flew to the other side of the world. "I need a new beginning. I will change my name, and I will use this money to do good from here."
Back in the other town, the government began surveilling everyone's tracker device to look for perpetrator of the robbery. When they got to the poor man's house, he was nowhere to be found which was suspicious in itself. They broke into his house, all of his belongings was gone. The only thing remaining was the man's bird, for the poor man forgot the trackers were placed in every living brain, human or not. Everything was revealed and the man was brought back by officials back to his old life. He now lived in jail, where he could never start a new life ever again.

Futuristic city, Public Domain Vectors

Author's Note: I decided to retell this story in a futuristic way. the nature of this story reminded me of how you never know who is watching, and this is an ever growing controversy in our modern-day security system. Specifically, I was inspired by a combination of the original Laos story and by a horrific episode of Black Mirror, "Crocodile." A small crime, with intentions to provide for himself, a man destroys his reputation due to his actions. And how he is convicted? By the government's memory tracking device in the man's bird brain in which he forgot about. 

Bibliography: K.N. Fleeson, Laos: The Parrot and the Minor Bird

Comments

  1. Hi! very interesting shift in perspective. It is a really fun way to tell the story. You should watch your tense. It's tough with futuristic stories, but sometime you are in past tense and sometimes not. "He now lived..." for example. Also, I would name your cities, rather than just saying "the other city." It could be fun and a little less confusing. Just a couple of ideas I had. I had a lot of fun with your story though! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shary!

    I love the dystopian setting you've crafted here, it's a great way to start the story. "He needed to eat, and the only way to obtain food was through a robbery he knew was wrong" was a particularly effective sentence, it really highlights this moral problem. I also thought your plot twist with the rich man's desire to give money to the poor was interesting. This was a creative story with an engaging plot, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shary! I think the futuristic society you've recreated from Black Mirror was a unique way to convey this story. You did a great job in your description of this society, which makes it easy for the reader to paint a picture of the setting in their minds. What if you wrote the story from the point of view of the man? You could give the reader a glimpse at his perspective in this dystopian world. Overall, you did a really good job, and I enjoyed reading your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shary! What a cool perspective to take on this retelling. I have thought of writing my retellings in the current time but never in the futuristic era. I really enjoyed your story because the detail and sentence structure was very intense. This made it very easy to picture in my head of what was going on in this story. Great Job, I cannot wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment