Week 4 Lab

Wow! Writers Write is such a good resource for me especially for this course. I am a science/math major, so I have not been responsible for reading and writing for a lot of my courses thus far. Because of this, I am very rusty, and I need resources like this one to keep my writing skills fresh and new.
First of all, I loved the layout of the website. The colors are simple (white and black), but there are accents with the cute cursive logo and colorful article links and pictures shown on the home screen.
To get started, I checked out the article titled "350 Character Traits– A Fabulous Resource For Writers" (link). This article stressed the importance of using rich and meaningful vocabulary adjectives when describing the major players in your story. There was a huge chart of negative and positive character traits given by the article's writer. I have bookmarked this page because I know this will be extremely helpful when retelling some of the traditional stories. I often get caught in the pattern of using the same adjectives to identify the protagonist and antagonist for each new story such as, "exciting, good, kind, mean, etc." This article will help me reach new heights with my own stories. I want to make my vocabulary and style more meaningful when I continue to write, instead of finding the most convenient filler word that will only do the job.
In addition to this insightful article, there were many other tabs that can be used for a diverse set of genres. This includes, creative writing, business writing, book reviews, humor, motivation, and quotes. On the topic of creative writing, I came across the article "5 Unexpected Ways to Fuel your Story" (link). This article was interesting because it shows how everyday activities can help inspire storytelling skills through your own experiences. I especially connected with the topic of music stimulating writer ideas and thoughts. I have a deep connection and love with many music types, and I think song lyrics display an artist's emotions and can be connected with writers' intentions and character motives.

Website: (link)

Website Logo: Writers Write

Comments

  1. Hi Shary! I am also a science major and love math, writing is not my strongest ability by any means. I think what you said about getting out of the pattern of using the same adjectives over and over again is really important. It is something I definitely need to work on. I also though the "5 Unexpected Ways to Fuel your Story" was interesting and I am glad you included a link! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment