Topic Brainstorm

Storybook brainstorming:

1. Greek god/goddess enneagram themed dating app or show:
In my sixth grade history class, we discussed a unit about the ancient Greeks and the mythology surrounding their deep-rooted culture. We participated in a project where each student dressed up like a god or goddess and spoke in a presentation about each one's power. When researching more I have noticed each god/goddess has a distinct profile. I want to learn more about the minor gods and how these figure's tendencies in the legendary myths can be psychologically interpreted. Incorporating the myths with the modern day enneagram personality test would be interesting. Although this idea seems simple, along with the basic profile tendencies (ie. strength, weakness), there are many ideas I want to include with the stories: compatibilities, fears, modern-day career paths, defense mechanisms, etc. I want to rewrite the myths according to these topics and how their decisions display their personality tendencies.

Greek gods, Wikimedia

(brainstorm #1, link)

2. A spin-off blog or magazine inspired by Sex and the City (women of the bible):
Having a religious background, I am very familiar with the women prominent in Christianity. In the bible, this is especially relevant in the Old Testament. As a woman myself, I am interested in delving into more of these characters and their roles in sainthood, miracles, and biblical familial ties. Specifically, I have always loved Joan of Arc and her heroic role in medieval France. I want to spin these stories into a modern day drama blog similarly themed to a gossip magazine or column (ie. cosmopolitan). I also want to combine some of the stories to present dramatic conflicts and twists. Specifically, Exodus is one of my favorite books in the bible, and I could retell the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of Egypt using a woman biblical character as the lead instead. It would be fun to display a tone similar to Carrie Bradshaw in the TV show popular throughout the 90's and 2000's. Also, from a visual standpoint, this design would be colorful, fun, and flirty.

(brainstorm #2, link)

3. Greek god/goddess superheroes:
My background of Greek gods/goddesses is discussed in my enneagram idea shown above. Right now with the new Avenger movie, I find Marvel superhero characters super entertaining and exciting. I want to learn more heroic myths about greek gods and incorporate them into modern-day superhero stories. I want to use their strengths and original heroic deeds to retell the story saving a modern day city. Also, similar to the Avengers, I want to show them working as a team and helping each other save the world by stopping crimes and other villains. Visually, I would have a design similar to comic books using specific dialogue font and thought bubbles.

(brainstorm #3, link)

4. Musical genres and animals:
Going into this course, I was familiar with animals in folklore most notably with the classic Tortoise and the Hare fable. I love stories like this because they always have a moral lesson incorporated into the conclusion of the plot. With my experience and great love for music, I could retell some stories for some of the animals I find most interesting. My idea is to display a genre of music for each animal type. I could possibly use a specific song, relevant to each genre, and rewrite the lyrics of the song while retelling the story. When viewing storybooks during week 1, I saw how an author incorporated music into her Greek mythology storybook (link); I fell in love with this idea of incorporating this different auditory artform setting the scene as the reader explores each story's plot.

(brainstorm #4, link)


Comments