Feedback Thoughts

In my daily life, I constantly receive feedback from my family, friends, and professors. I have come to the realization of the major impact feedback can have on my abilities and mood in general. These articles gave me great advice to use when I am overwhelmed with negative feedback, not only in an academic setting, but in every part of my life. Regarding child rearing, everyone knows that one parent that thinks the world revolves around his or her child. This infinite praise exchange does not enforce anything despite its good intention. With this said, I still think positive feedback plays a role in healthy self-esteem; for example, if parents only use non-constructive criticism, the child might feel worthless. There needs to be an appropriate balance between the negative and positive feedback. Having a fixed mindset implies you have a specific limit to grow, so why would one even try to improve? Because individuals with a fixed mindset are defined by this capacity, anything critical feels like an attack on how he or she was essentially born.
This sensitivity can be cured with a transformation to a growth mindset. Parents enforcing this mindset will raise their child to have a positive reaction and relationship with criticism and the weaknesses he or she posses. Every weakness I have provides me a special opportunity to develop my character and become a greater person. Individuals with this fixed mindset know that their mental capacity is infinite. Once children know they can change and grow, then the criticism becomes much less offensive and instead, more helpful by providing this opportunity. This growth-mindset incorporated with teamwork is the future of innovation— the future of growth.
Whenever I have phases of fixed-mindset I have often become scared to do thinks or challenge myself because of the hurt rejection would bring me. I will begin to embrace criticism during these times because simply, I cannot succeed without making and then fixing mistakes. The growth-mindset is much easier to enforce with supportive mentors and friends providing positive socialization. In times of rejection, I hope to hold onto a growth-mindset and remember the strengths I have while enthusiastically overcoming weaknesses.

Kitten likes feedback, Feedback Cats
Articles:
1. A fixed mindset could be holding you back (link)
2. Why rejection hurts so much (link)

Comments