Week 2 Story: The Three Forget-Me-Nots

Note: this story is revised and the updated story can be found on my portfolio (link)

Once upon a time, a widow lived in a small house on the countryside with her beloved sons. For it was five years since her love disappeared, killed in war against the enemies. And for all five years, the widow layed in bed dreaming about her husband's spirit. This heartbreak lead to the point of exhaustion where she suddenly fell ill and only had a short time before her life could be taken as well.

Her sons, Gaston and Gerome, in desperate hope of saving their mother's life, decided to embark on a journey across the countryside, through the lowland mountainous forest, to the shore where boats would arrive waiting with doctors, herbs, medicines, and a priest. This pathway for trade was only used for emergencies; the trek was long and many people who travelled often did not return.

The sons loved their mother like she the widow loved her deceased husband, so they took the risk and set out of foot. They needed each other to protect each other. Besides the brotherly bickering, Gason and Gerome were navigating the land like they had done it many times before. Their brotherly bond was the pillars for support and comfort; they only had one goal: to save their heartbroken mother.

In the midst of the journey, Gerome stumbled upon the widow's favorite flower, a myosotis. He picked it up: "This beautiful flower will help heal our mother's body and heart."
Despite Gaston's hesitation, Gerome insisted on collecting a bundle to bring along with the other healing materials. Picking up the vibrant purple myosotis flowers, one by one, the boys continued to collect the flowers paved into a larger patch and then a whole field of flowers swaying. These flowers waved by swaying in the wind summoning the boys to come closer and closer and the bundle accumulated more and more. "Surely the beauty of these flowers will bring hope to mother," Gerome said.

All of the sudden a large basilisk shrieked, "No one touches my property! This is my land, and now, you will pay. If you do not stay and hunt for me tonight, I will tear you into pieces and scatter you across this land unforgotten."

Myosotis flowers, Public Domain Pictures

The boys, exhausted, abided to the monster's request. The boys brought back a bag of mice and pleaded for the monster to set them free explaining their suffering mother. The basilisk handed Gaston a sword explaining, "One more thing. Slice off my head, or I will slice off yours." Having no option, Gaston chopped his head off. Silence filled the air as his head fell to the ground as a large serpent uncoiled from the head cavity. Swinging with his might out of fear, Gaston ripped its head off.

An old man then ascended from the body:
"My sons. You have saved me from the serpent's curse. For I have missed you, love you, and will give you everything. Where is your mother? Where is my wife?"

It was then back at the countryside house, where the widow was healed completely. Not a widow now though, but a wife once again. She felt her husband's spirit back in flesh. The father and his son's returned with myositis flowers, more commonly known as forget-me-not flowers— 5000 flowers for 5 years apart. The family reunited and lived happily ever after.

Author's Note:
This is an altered version of The Three Roses from Baudis's The Key of Gold.  Although I enjoyed the original story, however, I wished there was more character development of the mother. I was curious to find out what happened to the father of the daughters in the family. I decided to spin the climax of the plot and change the different themes of symbolism in the story.
For example, instead of a rose, I used the forget-me-not flower. The forget-me not, scientifically named the myosotis, is traditionally known to symbolize true love, faithful love, and memories. These themes are powerful in a widow's love for a lost companion. Most significantly, I decided to change the mothers' children as protective sons, and for the climax of the story transform the beast into a long lost family member serving as a resolution for the main conflict of heartbreak and sickness.

Bibliography: Bibliography: Josef Baudis, The Key of Gold (link)

Comments

  1. Hi Shary! I really enjoyed how you gave more background information on the mother and included the husband as a figure in the story. Upon reading the original story, I see the major differences that you implemented in the story. Your changes answers a few questions I had about the mother as well. The switch to sons rather than daughters also does not seem to take away from the story and makes more sense for the story line you chose. I am also curious to how you decided and knew about the forget-me-not flower. I have no previous knowledge of the flower, and the qualities of the flower with the story considering how the father is "forgotten", but is returned at the end. The mother never truly forgets the father and thus the flower fits in well. Overall, this is a fantastic retelling of the story and really challenged my viewpoints from the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shary,

    I LOVED your spin off of the original story, and how you turned it into more of a story about dedication and love. Your choice of using the forget-me-not flower only added to that feeling. It was a little odd, however, that the basilisk handed over a sword. If Gaston still had the sword, it would be weird for him to have ripped the other serpent's head off. There were a few minor typos, but nothing that I couldn't overcome. I think you did a beautiful job creating the ending the way you did. It provides closure, and I appreciated that. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shary!

    While I was reading your story, I thought that I sounded very familiar. I too wrote one of my stories based off Three Roses. It is so neat to see how everyone puts their own spin on an original story. My favorite part about your adaption was how much the son's loved their mother and how they were willing to be put in danger in order to make their mother happy! I can relate to them, as I would do anything to make my mother smile.

    Great story and nice personal touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shary!

    I really enjoyed your version of the Three Roses. I am unfamiliar with the Three Roses, but I think you did a great job with your retelling. I really like how you wanted to flesh out the mother more and give her more character development. I would say that you accomplished your goal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment