Storybooks Favorites

The Brave Hedgehog:

Well I am a sucker for cute and tiny animals, so naturally, the title of this storybook immediately captured my attention. The thematic music attached to each chapter of the storybook truly brought each fable to life. I am passionate about music, and like the author mentioned, I also believe art inspires art. The music connected the author's personal inspiration to Aesop's Fables of which I was not extremely familiar with before. The introduction demonstrated the similarities between familial relationships in Greek mythology to animal instincts of hedgehogs. The design of the storybook is simple, but I found its purpose to balance out the sometimes chaotic musical pieces. Overall, I appreciated the layout of pictures, and for my project I am considering laying the pictures vertical along the text for my own storybook; this feature complemented the plot's flow of words in the Old Lessons chapter.

Cute hedgehog, Max Pixel


Aladdin's Adventures:

Before diving more into this storybook, I grew up knowing all about Aladdin as a little girl in love with anything and everything, Disney. However, I didn't know the traditional Aladdin story from the Arabian Knights. I loved the boldfaced names design style when the author introduced the characters. The concept of the princess and Aladdin essentially having reversed status' from the original story. I would've preferred a more descriptive title, but I loved the given secondary title, A Whole New World. I would consider using this same layout style with the color and graphic on top and the plain text at the bottom.

Real Housewives of Greek Mythology:

I'll be honest, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills was once my guilty pleasure. And by "once," I mean this past summer. I was very entertained reading this storybook. The introduction was humorous acting as a parody of the real-life show when introducing the Greek gods and goddesses as a cast and describing them with their dramatic tendencies. I am fairly familiar with Greek mythology, and this introduction and title made me want to learn even more. I found the chapter titles and the script-style font creative details to the storybook. The author played with color contrast with dark picture headings and lighter mediums holding the bulk of the chapters.

Comments