My Favorite Place: Machu Picchu



After my junior year of high school, my mom and I went on a trip to the beautiful country of Peru. When I think of the day I spent at Machu Picchu, I feel blessed to have visited one of the seven wonders of the world. The archaeological ruins, peering through the peaks of the Andes, hold as they call it: The Lost City of the Incas. I find it remarkable how an ancient, 15th century old sanctuary, has miraculous degree of detail seen in the architecture and stonework. In addition to the urban part of the ruins, there is also an agricultural sector where terraces cascade down the slopes into the tropical rainforest. 

The Historic Ruins, Wikimedia Commons



Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, Shary, that is incredible: what an amazing site to have seen in person. Fantastic! And maybe you will want to do a project for class connected with Peru and its storytelling traditions, including the ancient Incas. We don't have a Peru unit in the UnTextbook, but there is this book (free online!) that might be useful: Myths of Mexico and Peru... and there was an Inca Storybook a few years ago in class; that student used his own photos because he had traveled in Peru too! Here's a link if you are curious: Tales from Peru: Legends of the Inca ... I learned a lot from his project! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Shary! Umm wow! That is so cool. I have had couple friends who have gone to Machu Picchu and rave about it. I enjoy hiking, so I would love to go and get up to the top! I honestly forgot it was one of the seven wonders of the world so I am glad you mentioned that. Do you plan on visiting any of the other six?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peru sounds so amazing!! I have always wanted to go and explore! I did a lot of research on Machu Picchu when I was younger and it looked like such a cool place to visit. I am extremely jealous that you got to go and explore it! The nature and everything else around it must be spectacular and hopefully kept in good condition. The world deserves better and I hope Machu Picchu is kept in great condition for all eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment